[postgis-users] Install postgis on a different schema

P Kishor punk.kish at gmail.com
Tue Nov 24 12:13:32 PST 2009

Leo,

Many thanks for your clear replies. One follow-up question --

On Tue, Nov 24, 2009 at 1:29 PM, Paragon Corporation <lr at pcorp.us> wrote:
..
> --
> d. The notes above refer to setting the search_path and the session_path.
> Where is that done?
>
> You can do it in postgresql.conf or at the database level.  The database
> level is better I think
>
> ALTER DATABASE mydb SET search_path = public, shared
>

> The above will have it set for good, except if you restore a db, you need to
> remember to rerun the above command.

In the above note, should I be setting the search_path to the
different project schemas as well, and not just 'public' and 'shared'?
So, if I have the following schemas in mydb, 'public', 'shared',
'project1', 'project2' then the above command really should be

ALTER DATABASE mydb SET search_path = public, shared, project1, project2;

And, if I add another schema, 'project3', a few months later, then I run

ALTER DATABASE mydb SET search_path = public, shared, project1,
project2, project3;

Correct?

By the way, what is that search_path doing? What is it for? And, why
don't I have to set it if I have only a 'public' schema? Is that
because by default, a public schema doesn't need an explicit search
path?

Puneet.