[postgis-users] Install postgis on a different schema

MarkW mark.wimer at gmail.com
Tue Nov 24 12:56:39 PST 2009

On Tue, Nov 24, 2009 at 3:13 PM, P Kishor <punk.kish at gmail.com> wrote:

> Leo,
>
> Many thanks for your clear replies. One follow-up question --
>
> On Tue, Nov 24, 2009 at 1:29 PM, Paragon Corporation <lr at pcorp.us> wrote:
> ..
> > --
> > d. The notes above refer to setting the search_path and the session_path.
> > Where is that done?
> >
> > You can do it in postgresql.conf or at the database level.  The database
> > level is better I think
> >
> > ALTER DATABASE mydb SET search_path = public, shared
> >

> > The above will have it set for good, except if you restore a db, you need
> > remember to rerun the above command.
> >

> In the above note, should I be setting the search_path to the
> different project schemas as well, and not just 'public' and 'shared'?
> So, if I have the following schemas in mydb, 'public', 'shared',
> 'project1', 'project2' then the above command really should be
>
> ALTER DATABASE mydb SET search_path = public, shared, project1, project2;
>
> And, if I add another schema, 'project3', a few months later, then I run
>
> ALTER DATABASE mydb SET search_path = public, shared, project1,
> project2, project3;
>
> Correct?
>
> By the way, what is that search_path doing? What is it for? And, why
> don't I have to set it if I have only a 'public' schema? Is that
> because by default, a public schema doesn't need an explicit search
> path?
>
> Puneet.

If I could add another question to this thread since it's related to the
PostGIS schema. I am moving to this "Project1"  schema approach in prep for
an upgrade and to keep the data in separate schema in the future. If  my
Project1 schema is dumped/backed up, then put back/restored after an upgrade
of PostgreSQL/PostGIS, what's the best way to restore information in the
Geometry_Columns table; should that be saved, or should I be using a
function to re-populate the Geometry_Columns table?

Mark