[postgis-users] identifying blank geometry fields

Bob Hume bobh at lbblawyers.com
Tue Nov 24 22:12:03 PST 2009

Well, apparently it is a problem of pgAdmin not displaying the the_geom
data, not that it doesn't exist.  Query  --   select name, the_geom,
St_Length(the_geom) from dum;    --   shows a length for each row that
appears to have a blank the_geom field.  I guess that explains why
trying to find the blank the_geom fields with null didn't work; they
aren't null.  I tried running the query in psql, but have a windows
console conflict and don't want to take the time to figure out how to
fix it so I can run the query directly in psql in Windows.  I'm a rookie
and pgAdmin is enough for me.

Thanks all for the prompt and good troubleshooting suggestions.

-- Bob Hume