[postgis-users] PostGIS vs Oracle Spatial/MS SQL2008

Peter Hopfgartner peter.hopfgartner at r3-gis.com
Fri Nov 27 04:18:06 PST 2009

Based on my current project, I would split down the decision as:

1) Is there any know how on administering PostgreSQL or Oracle at your
client side?

The human factor is crucial. Databases are often vital and the
confidence that you have in dumping/restoring/optimizing/planning
deployment is an important factor.

2) Which tools will be used for accessing the database. PostGIS is
typically better supported in Open Source tools. You can directly access
PostGIS in QGIS, gvSIG, MapServer etc., whereas for Oracle you typically
have to recompile (MapServer) or use some plugin (gvSIG), which may not
be up to date, etc.

3) Which features do you need. Oracle has some features that might take
it apart, among those are: robust topology implementation, routing
(pgRouting is the PostGIS-based alternative), raster (will come with
PostGIS in some future version), geography (earth as a sphere, instead
as a plane, but will be included in the next version of PostGIS, too).

4) Which platform will host your database. If you run some common Linux
distro, PostgreSQL/PostGIS is much better integrated and updating is a
no minder. For running Oracle you will have to change some kernel
parameters, disable SE-Linux and have some "blog" that lives completly
outside of your well managed RPM packging. If you use some kind of
Ubuntu, Oracle is not certified. On Windows, this is not an issue.

My very personal  impression is, that PostgreSQL/PostGIS has fewer
features, but does them very well and I find it's SQL implementation
more elegant  and consistent. Oracle frequently feels like a
many-tons-truck, which is ok, if you need a many-tons-truck. But not, if
you are fine with a lighter vehicle.

Peter

--

Dott. Peter Hopfgartner