[postgis-users] GISVM Server Release Candidate 1 is publicly available

Ricardo Pinho rpinho_eng at yahoo.com.br
Thu Oct 1 14:37:19 PDT 2009

Dear G. van Es,

I'm sorry for the rest of the list, but I really must reply to you... because you have a completely wrong idea of Free Software!

[quote]
To understand
the concept, you should think of free as in free speech, not as in free beer."
[/quote]

And as stated on gisvm site:
http://www.fsf.org/licensing/essays/selling.html
[quote]
Many people believe that the spirit of the GNU project is that you
should not charge money for distributing copies of software, or that
you should charge as little as possible — just enough to cover
the cost.
Actually we encourage people who redistribute free software to charge as much as they wish or can.  If this seems surprising to
you, please read on.

[/quote]

Regarding:
> Still, I think gisvm isn't worth paying for....

I respect your opinion, but I really would like to know the reasons why you think like this.
And I would appreciate if you could post your opinion on the GISVM forum (it's free speech!!!)
http://gisvm.com/forum

Actually myself and some users I personally know use PostGIS on GISVM on a daily base, and we are very happy with it!

Cheers,
Ricardo Pinho