[postgis-users] find nearest point on line where distance to point not on line is minimum - or lets say drop a perpendicular on the nearest line through a given point

Paragon Corporation lr at pcorp.us
Fri Oct 16 14:31:11 PDT 2009

Marco,
I think what you want is something like this

http://blog.cleverelephant.ca/2008/04/snapping-points-in-postgis.html

The key is you want to use ST_DWithin and come up with a distance that is
longer than any 2 closest lines.  This will weed out a lot of falses with  a
spatial index so should be much faster than what you are doing.

Hope that helps,
Regina