[postgis-users] pg_query to insert new point

André Mendonça andremalms at hotmail.com
Tue Oct 27 00:00:52 PDT 2009

Hi everyone, first e-mail here.
I´m trying to insert a new point to a simple table called processos in a postgis database, using php, in a local server, with apache 2.2, php 5.2.12, postgre 8.3 and postgis 1.4.

here is the piece of code:

$sql = "INSERT INTO processos (id, the_geom) VALUES (1,(ST_PointFromText('POINT(-2 -62)',4291)))";
pg_query($con, $sql);

I can observe (with pg_affected_rows) there´s no new record.

Executing the same query directly in pgsql, with the same database user, returns a successfully result.

Any ideas on what´s wrong? I had never done any queries using php before, is there a way to see an error message when executing this kind of server-side request? tried firebug console but there´s nothing going on there...

Thanks a lot!

André Mendonça
Universidade Federal do Paraná
Curitiba - BR