[postgis-users] several SRID on one table

Pavel Iacovlev iacovlev.pavel at gmail.com
Tue Sep 1 08:34:02 PDT 2009

The cons I think are that some 3rd party apps may get confused then
working with PostGIS as they expect 1 geometry column per table, old
version of QGIS have this problem (I may be wrong).

In general you should have NO trouble with dual geometry columns in
your app, I use this approach in production and it works fine and it's
easy to implement.

As a note you can create an INDEX on a geometry column that is a
transformed geometry to specified projection and you should get really
fast geometry on the fly projection transformation.
CREATE INDEX myindex ON mytable USING GIST ( ST_Transform(the_geom, mysrid) );
Don't  forget to run EXPLAINS to see if it actually works.

http://iap.md, The future is open