[postgis-users] several SRID on one table

Steve.Toutant at inspq.qc.ca Steve.Toutant at inspq.qc.ca
Tue Sep 1 08:39:18 PDT 2009

Thanks Pavel for your answer.
Do you suggest that I could use one geometry column and create several
index instead?

Steve Toutant, M. Sc.
Analyste en géomatique
Secteur environnement
Direction des risques biologiques, environnementaux et occupationnels
Institut national de santé publique du Québec
945, avenue Wolfe
Québec, Qc G1V 5B3
Tél.: (418) 650-5115 #5281
Fax.: (418) 654-3144
steve.toutant at inspq.qc.ca
http://www.inspq.qc.ca

Pavel Iacovlev <iacovlev.pavel at gmail.com>@postgis.refractions.net
Envoyé par : postgis-users-bounces at postgis.refractions.net
01/09/2009 11:34 AM
Veuillez répondre à
PostGIS Users Discussion <postgis-users at postgis.refractions.net>

PostGIS Users Discussion <postgis-users at postgis.refractions.net>
cc

Objet
Re: [postgis-users] several SRID on one table

The cons I think are that some 3rd party apps may get confused then
working with PostGIS as they expect 1 geometry column per table, old
version of QGIS have this problem (I may be wrong).

In general you should have NO trouble with dual geometry columns in
your app, I use this approach in production and it works fine and it's
easy to implement.

As a note you can create an INDEX on a geometry column that is a
transformed geometry to specified projection and you should get really
fast geometry on the fly projection transformation.
CREATE INDEX myindex ON mytable USING GIST ( ST_Transform(the_geom,
mysrid) );
Don't  forget to run EXPLAINS to see if it actually works.

http://iap.md, The future is open