[postgis-users] several SRID on one table

Chris Hermansen chris.hermansen at timberline.ca
Tue Sep 1 10:25:41 PDT 2009

Steve;

Do you have the concept of a "master" SRID?  In other words, is there a
projection in which you do all of your maintenance / updates?

If so, you could consider keeping that as your "main" / "master" table,
and either creating your other "tables" as views with on-the-fly
projections from that table, or create the entries automatically in
other tables using insert / update / delete triggers.

A problem to consider with keeping everything in one table is that the
wider your rows, the more I/O you have to do to read and write rows.  So
if you have application A reading SRID 1 and application B reading SRID
2 you will probably find better throughput by physically separating the
table.  Worth testing, anyway.

Also, with separate tables, especially tables that are not heavily
maintained, you can try clustering your indexes to improve your performance.