[postgis-users] several SRID on one table

pcreso at pcreso.com pcreso at pcreso.com
Tue Sep 1 12:13:41 PDT 2009

H Steve,

I have had recommendations that this is not good practice, but I have done this often myself for various reasons, with good success.

As far as I'm concerned, a very useful ability of a spatially enabled RDBMS is to realise that a geometry is only an attribute of an entity, like a date, time, numeric or string type. Real world entities can be represented by multiple geometries, and have multiple dates, etc,  associated with them, so this is a perfectly good model, and offers substantial benefits over the (dated) GIS model where the geometry is somehow more special than other attributes of a feature/entity.

Cheers,

  Brent Wood