[postgis-users] several SRID on one table

Ben Madin ben at remoteinformation.com.au
Wed Sep 2 20:40:31 PDT 2009

Arguably the relational database concept is meant to avoid storing the
same data more than once, but I have also done this to reduce overhead
during complex output queries (ie storing a point on surface of a
polygon instead of calculating it each time). Ultimately, it worked
out slightly faster to have multiple smaller tables, as we only wanted
one aspect of the geometry at any one time. When it came for time for
others to use the same data, it was also much clearer to them what was
going on.

It might be a good time to add that storing the same data in multiple
formats requires some method to ensure concurrency - if someone
updates the column that is in WGS84, a trigger to update the other
columns would be essential to avoid returning mixed version
information. This obviously holds true whether you have multiple
columns in one table or multiple tables with one column each.

cheers

Ben

Ben Madin
REMOTE INFORMATION