[postgis-users] shp2pgsql encoding problem - Thai Language

Ben Madin ben at remoteinformation.com.au
Tue Sep 15 18:44:16 PDT 2009

G'day all,

I have a set of boundaries, with the locations in Thai. As best as I
can tell, the encoding is ISO-8559-11 (not an official encoding, but
similar to other latin/non-latin encodings)

does that mean I'm stumped when it comes to importing it using
shp2pgsql. I normally set -W UTF-8, but in this case I get utf8:
Illegal byte sequence. (the db is utf-8)

If I try using -W WIN874 (the only option in the postgres manual that
mentions Thai) I get utf8: iconv_open: Invalid argument

Is this a hopeless case - do I need to (can I?) edit the .dbf file to
remove the columns with the Thai encoding and then type them all back
in!? Is there another way?

cheers

Ben

--