[postgis-users] Postgresql crashing while using Postgis 1.4 on Postgresql 8.4

Emilie Laffray emilie.laffray at gmail.com
Wed Sep 16 15:37:55 PDT 2009

Paul Ramsey wrote:
> Emilie,
>
> We need to figure what function is taking down the server. First
> remove the ST_IsValidReason from the query and see if it crashes. Then
> try with only the ST_IsValidReason. Now you know which function is the
> problem.

The crash is happening on ST_IsValidReason.

> Next, we need to know what data is causing the problem. Do a binary
> search in your data (use a WHERE clause to restrict to just the first
> half. Then the second half. Repeat the process on the half that causes
> the crash. Keep going until you get to a minimum set of data that
> causes a crash. now create a new table with just that data, dump it,
> and send it to me.

The behavior seems erratic. I thought I had it narrowed down to one
line, but it wasn't the one line. However, I think I have found a subset
that is making postgresql crash every time. There are only 23 entries.
I hope it will be useful.

Emilie Laffray

Emilie  Laffray