[postgis-users] splitting a PostGIS db across multiple disks

Chris Hermansen chris.hermansen at timberline.ca
Tue Apr 6 08:22:38 PDT 2010

What about using RAID?  No data reorganization necessary.

http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Community_Disk_Tuning_Guide

As the above notes, disk performance (eg spindle speed) is important.

Also, to get good performance, you need to understand your application's
performance needs.  Do you have a lot of small queries, etc etc.  If you
don't understand your application's performance needs, then you may be
better off running your application for awhile and measuring its
bottlenecks before you decide on a storage strategy.

--
Regards,

Chris Hermansen    ·    mailto:chris.hermansen at timberline.ca
tel+1.604.714.2878 · fax+1.604.733.0631 · mob+1.778.840.4625
Timberline Natural Resource Group · http://www.timberline.ca
401 · 958 West 8th Avenue  · Vancouver BC · Canada · V5Z 1E5