[postgis-users] splitting a PostGIS db across multiple disks

Sufficool, Stanley ssufficool at rov.sbcounty.gov
Tue Apr 6 14:48:44 PDT 2010

Option #1: Hardware RAID
Pros: Fast, application agnostic performance and failover. Can resize on some controllers and use a file system capable of dynamic resizing (ZFS, XFS, NTFS)
Cons: Expensive controller hardware, possibly complicated file system resizing on cheaper controllers. Filesystem may be offline during resize (unless ZFS).

Option #2: Software RAID
Pros: Linux and Windows has built in resizing for these volumes. Protected data when using RAID 10, 5, 1.
Cons: Can steal processor time when using RAID 5 & 6.

Option #3: Dedicated iSCSI, AoE, FC SAN
Pros: Not stealing processor from application server. Can use software RAID on SAN controller without application server performance penalty. Can be cheap if using existing server and LAN network/fabric.
Cons: You're managing another server, possibly storage fabric and switches. Can get expensive.

Option #4: Cheap onboard SATA JBOD RAID with resizable filesystem.
Pros: Not much if any processor overhead. Can hot-add disks on most SATA boards.
Cons: One disk goes and the whole dataset is shot.

Option #5: Table inheritance or View with INSTEAD OF triggers on insert, delete and update.
Pros: Can create your partitioned table on any disk.
Cons: Complicated setup and many potential pitfalls. May not be able to take full advantage of PostgreSQL indexing in some cases.

Option #6: Compressed file system
Pros: Cheap space savings. Can INCREASE read times where processor is faster than the disk subsystem.
Cons: May steal processor when disk subsystem is sufficiently fast (ie RAID).

My suggestion: Use a filesystem that allows online resizing (EXT3+, XFS, etc..) on a Hardware/Software RAID that allows hot drive addition. This will get you your 99.9% uptime.