[postgis-users] PostGIS as WPS?

Jorge de Jesus jorge.de-jesus at jrc.ec.europa.eu
Wed Apr 28 23:25:40 PDT 2010

Hi Stefan

Despite pyWPS being "GRASS oriented" there is no problem  on running
(any) python code as a process, I am not certain what are your needs but
you could program a process in just a few lines that would accept a SQL
query as a WPS String Input and then have the output as WPS String of
Complex (XML) ouput.

It's up to you to write the process and define what input/output.

If you have specific pyWPS questions it is better to use the its mailing
list (http://lists.wald.intevation.org/mailman/listinfo/pywps-devel)

Jorge

Olivier Courtin wrote:

> On Apr 29, 2010, at 2:00 AM, Stefan Keller wrote:
>
> Hi Stefan,
>
>> General question: Are there projects around to turn PostGIS/PostgreSQL
>> into a Web Processing Service (WPS)?
>> I'm thinking of an approach similar to PyWPS which is a minimalist
>> python wrapper code around GRASS.
>
> Well PyWPS allow you to write in Python any treatment that you want.
> And there's of course ways in Python to connect to PostgreSQL.
>
> So you don't have to rewrite all the WPS part at all :)
> Only few lines to do your own treatment with PostgreSQL/PostGIS.
>
> HTH,
>
> --
> Olivier

Jorge Samuel Mendes de Jesus (PhD)

DG Joint Research Centre - European Commission
Global Environment Monitoring Unit (GEM)
MOnitoring Of Natural resources for DEvelopment (MONDE)

http://gem.jrc.ec.europa.eu

Via Fermi 2749, TP 440,  I-21027 Ispra (VA), ITALY

Tel : +39 0332 783536
Fax : +39 0332 789960

Email: jorge.de-jesus at jrc.ec.europa.eu
       jorge.jesus at gmail.com

OpenPGPKey: 0xE915CB1E

"The views expressed are purely those of the writer and may not in any
circumstances be regarded as stating an official position of the European
Commission." (Disclaimer required under the terms and conditions of use of
the internet and electronic mail from Commission equipment)"