[postgis-users] side location conflict GEOS touches() threw an error

David Epstein davideps at umich.edu
Wed Aug 18 19:26:16 PDT 2010

Hello,

I have a postGIS polygon layer with about 320,000 rows. I am trying to
return a table with object_number and the average area of the
surrounding (touching) polygons. I am getting this error:

NOTICE:  TopologyException: side location conflict 1.34593e+07 289017
ERROR:  GEOS touches() threw an error!

********** Error **********

ERROR: GEOS touches() threw an error!
SQL state: XX000

I have tried to simplify the geometry many different times. Nothing
seems to solve the problem. I can process the first 20,000 rows
(object_number < 20000) but something is causing problems after that. I
have pasted the script below, any suggestions would be welcomed!

Thank you,
-david

SELECT p1.ogc_fid, avg(p2.shape_area)
FROM parcels09_d3_v2_simplify as p1, parcels09_d3_v2_simplify as p2
WHERE st_touches(p1.wkb_geometry, p2.wkb_geometry)
GROUP BY p1.ogc_fid
ORDER BY p1.ogc_fid