[postgis-users] postgis from ubuntu to suse

Kevin Neufeld kneufeld.ca at gmail.com
Tue Dec 7 13:26:50 PST 2010

I agree with Brent here that it works nicely for me as well to pg_dump
<src db params> | psql <target db params>

Just a word of caution that you may want to make sure that your pg_dump
excludes any PostGIS installation, especially if you are changing
versions.  Otherwise, you are going to overwrite your new installation
with old PostGIS function definitions and confusion will abound.

Typically PostGIS is installed in the public schema, so I usually do
this which excludes the public schema from the dump:

Eventually, I would love to see PostGIS installed in it's own schema
which is treated by PostgreSQL like any other system schema
(information_schema, pg_catalog) and automatically excluded from
pg_dump.  But for now, manual exclusion works.

Cheers,
Kevin