[postgis-users] Problems compiling Postgis from source in Ubuntu 9.10

Mark Cave-Ayland mark.cave-ayland at siriusit.co.uk
Wed Jan 6 14:35:28 PST 2010

Roger André wrote:

> - I got the following error when I ran configure:
> $ sudo ./configure --with-pgsql=/usr/local/pgsql/bin/pg_config
> --with-geos=/usr/local/bin/geos-config --with-proj=/usr/local/
> --with-proj-libdir=/usr/local/lib
>
> configure: error: the PGXS Makefile
> /usr/lib/postgresql/8.4/lib/pgxs/src/makefiles/pgxs.mk <http://pgxs.mk>
> cannot be found. Please install the PostgreSQL server development
> packages and re-run configure.

It looks as if you have multiple copies of PostgreSQL installed on your
computer one in /usr/local and one in /usr, i.e. you have installed one
from packages using aptitude and compiled another one by hand. You are
also using the wrong --with arguments from the 1.3 release that don't
work with PostGIS 1.4.

Karmic Koala already comes with PostgreSQL 8.4 so you should "make
uninstall" in your hand-compiled source tree to remove all traces of it
from /usr/local. Then install the postgresql-server-dev-8.4 package and
re-run configure like this:

$ sudo ./configure --with-geosconfig=/usr/local/bin/geos-config
--with-projdir=/usr/local

I really am tempted to come up with a fix for this brain-dead piece of
Debian packaging as it seems to catch a lot of people out...

HTH,

Mark.

PostgreSQL - PostGIS
http://www.siriusit.co.uk