[postgis-users] Problems compiling Postgis from source in Ubuntu 9.10

Roger André randre at gmail.com
Wed Jan 6 15:26:13 PST 2010

Hi Mark,

I see from the Changelog that you committed many of the pgxs updates, so
thanks for the response.  A couple points I'd like to clarify.

1. I have not installed ANY Postgresql code from aptitude, nor do I wish
to.  Everything is fresh source code installed under /usr/local, and I would
very much like to keep it that way.  You're right that there is another
pg_config in /usr/bin/pg_config though, but I have no idea how it got
there.  It's also strange that when I go through the locations specified by
/usr/bin/pg_config, only some of them exist.  Looks like some sort of
partial install, or something.  aptitude also has no record of installing
any postgres* package, so not sure how it got there.

2. Totally willing to grant you that my configure options might be incorrect
for PostGIS 1.4. I didn't realize they had changed from 1.3 to 1.4.  I'll
have a closer look at the ./configure --help output to make sure I specify
them correctly.   Would help if I pointed to the right pg_config. ;)

3. I am going to clean out all traces of the Ubuntu package on the system,
and then will see if I can get the source to compile properly.

Thanks again,

Roger