[postgis-users] st_buffer (radius_of_buffer)

Martin Davis mbdavis at refractions.net
Tue Jan 19 10:19:24 PST 2010

No, actually buffer with a 0 radius means "the valid polygon which
contains only the points in the input geometry".

Since you can't create a valid polygon using a 0 radius to buffer a
non-polygon (line or point), buffer returns an empty geometry.  In other
words, buffer(geom, 0) is only meaningful when geom is polygonal.

This should probably be clarified in the documentation.