[postgis-users] RE Importing shapefiles to PostGIS

P Kishor punk.kish at gmail.com
Thu Jan 21 08:57:47 PST 2010

On Thu, Jan 21, 2010 at 10:50 AM, Shreerang Patwardhan
<patwardhan.shreerang at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello Steve,
>
>     Frankly speaking, I am an absolute new-bie to GIS. So, I'll tell you
> what all I have done. I have installed PostgreSQL 8.4.2 using the one click
> installer on Ubuntu 9.04. Then I installed PostGIS 1.4. I created a database
> using pgadmin and then used the two command s you have stated. But, I
> sometimes get an error and sometimes I get an output which I do not know if
> it is correct or not. I am working on California State TIGER/Line
> shapefiles. Can you please send me the screen shots of what the output of
> the 2 commands will look like? Please. I need to get over with this task as
> soon as possible as. This is urgent!!

This is the wrong way to go about asking for help, nevertheless...

You have to send your exact commands, the output and any error
messages. Only then will you be able to get directed and relevant
help.

You also need to learn a bit about the basics of GIS, and at least
read the excellent PostGIS docs. If you are such a newbie to GIS, you
really shouldn't be working on such an urgent task.

If you have tried Steve's command, send your error messages.

> Thanx,
> Shreerang.

Puneet Kishor