[postgis-users] intersect operation in 3d?

Hugh Stimson hugh at hughstimson.org
Fri Jul 16 14:32:03 PDT 2010

Hi PostGIS folks,

I'm trying to find a way to read two 3-dimensional polygons and test if they intersect. It's for a radar-bird-tracking application. I'm hoping that PostGIS is a solution.

I've been scanning the Mailing list archives, and I gather that at least some of the spatial operations which PostGIS provides are 3d-enabled. Which surprises me, as my understanding was that PostGIS spatial operations descend from the Java Topological Suite via GEOS, and JTS advertises itself as being specifically for 2-d linear modelling.

Could I count on the ST_Intersects function to work with 3d data? Would there likely be any special considerations for 3d?

http://postgis.refractions.net/documentation/manual-1.5/ST_Intersects.html

cheers,

Hugh

--
Hugh Stimson / 778.373.1024 / hughstimson.com