[postgis-users] FME and Postgis-SVN problems

Mark Cave-Ayland mark.cave-ayland at siriusit.co.uk
Tue Jul 27 04:14:30 PDT 2010

Andreas Neumann wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I recently installed Postgis-SVN (1.5.2SVN) together with PostgreSQL 9.0
> beta 3 and noticed that FME (from Safe software) cannot read the
> geometries anymore. It used to work fine with older versions.
>
> The error message I get reads as follows:
>
> "Error in the OGR while importing well known binary geometry
> Invalid WKB encountered"
>
> I wonder if other users of Postgis SVN and FME are getting similar problems?

Hi Andreas,

If you're using PostgreSQL 9.0, you're probably getting affected by
this: http://trac.osgeo.org/postgis/ticket/538.

In short, it seems that various applications don't use the official
PostgreSQL libpq unescape functions but instead implement their own -
and since the default representation has changed, the parsing code needs
to be updated. Note that you can change the default using the
bytea_output GUC in postgresql.conf if updating the software proves to
be impossible.

HTH,

Mark.

PostgreSQL - PostGIS