[postgis-users] Efficient within / intersection of large polygons

Paul Ramsey pramsey at cleverelephant.ca
Fri Jul 30 11:24:06 PDT 2010

Chris,

The advice from the manual stands... Your best bet will be to chop up your big polygons into smaller regions. My personal preference is to use a grid for the chopping. You can then test fir containment by checking to see that all the fragments your test polygon intersects share the same jurisdiction code. Chop your polygons into pieces with no more than a few hundred vertices each and you will find things work much better.

But, you want to export? Just keep around two copies, the copy you export and the copy you analyze on. As you note, the data is not changing frequently.

Good luck,

P.