[postgis-users] PostGIS geography question: wrapping the globe

pcreso at pcreso.com pcreso at pcreso.com
Mon Jun 14 22:05:00 PDT 2010

This is also an issue for geometries, but I'm looking for a geography solution here.

How can I create a geography that goes from -90 to 90 & crosses the dateline vs one that goes the other way around the globe & crosses the 0 degree meridian?

Either/both is defined by:

POLYGON((-90 10, -90 -10, 90 -10, -90 -10, -90 10))

How can I tell which one I'll get (apart from trying it out) & how do I get the other, if that is what I want?

I assume I can use intermediate points along the lines to coerce the direction I want, but this has some problems in my use case.

Thanks,

  Brent