[postgis-users] PostGIS geography question: wrapping the globe

Luís de Sousa luis.a.de.sousa at gmail.com
Tue Jun 15 00:51:01 PDT 2010

On Tue, Jun 15, 2010 at 6:05 AM,  <pcreso at pcreso.com> wrote:

> How can I create a geography that goes from -90 to 90 & crosses the dateline vs one that goes the other way around the globe & crosses the 0 degree meridian?

Hi Brent, sometime ago I had to do a similar thing creating meridians
and parallels for worldwide charts. The only way to do it is by using
bordering points such as -89.99 89.99.

Note though that some drawing packages will have difficulty displaying
this sort of lines. For instance, QGis is unable to correctly draw a
line coming from the projection centre in an azimuthal projection,
e.g. drawing a meridian starting at the south pole in a south pole
centred projection.

Luís