[postgis-users] Unable to build PostGIS 1.4.2 on MacOS 10.6.4

Guyren G Howe gisborne at emailuser.net
Wed Jun 23 17:16:22 PDT 2010

I had no trouble installing 1.5, but finding out that our project was using 1.4, I did the same steps (presuming I had all the requirements just fine). But make gives me this:

make -C loader
gcc -g -O2  -fno-common -DPIC  -Wall -Wmissing-prototypes shpopen.o dbfopen.o getopt.o shp2pgsql.o ../liblwgeom/liblwgeom.a -liconv -lm -o shp2pgsql
Undefined symbols:
  "_libiconv_open", referenced from:
      _utf8 in shp2pgsql.o
  "_libiconv_close", referenced from:
      _utf8 in shp2pgsql.o
  "_libiconv", referenced from:
      _utf8 in shp2pgsql.o
ld: symbol(s) not found
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status

I've installed libiconv, but this hasn't helped. Grateful any assistance.