[postgis-users] Jython?

Jorge de Jesus jorge.de-jesus at jrc.ec.europa.eu
Wed Jun 30 23:58:08 PDT 2010

Hi
I am not familiar with TurboGears and Rails but for "geographic Python
stuff" I would suggest
GeoDJango

I think that its the best GIS development framework.

If you want to use Jython probably you should give a look at gvSIG, this
is a GIS desktop software/ GIS tools that have a Jython console and
Jython calls to the GIS functions should be a problem.

I suggest that you sign up for the specific mailing list of these
project and make the questions there

Jorge

Guyren G Howe wrote:
> I'm just in the early stages of a project for which a variety of geographical reasoning will be needed. I normally work in Rails, but the project is started in TurboGears so we can use all the geographic Python stuff.
>
> But then it occurred to me that I could do the project mostly in Rails and do the geographic stuff in Python, if I used JRuby and Jython. This will let me just get the thing done, rather than have to spend my time learning TurboGears first (it appears to be a fine framework, but the community and documentation are not nearly as robust as those for Rails).
>
> So my question is: how well would it work to use Jython for GIS?

Jorge Samuel Mendes de Jesus (PhD)

DG Joint Research Centre - European Commission
Global Environment Monitoring Unit (GEM)
MOnitoring Of Natural resources for DEvelopment (MONDE)

http://gem.jrc.ec.europa.eu

Via Fermi 2749, TP 440,  I-21027 Ispra (VA), ITALY

Tel : +39 0332 783536
Fax : +39 0332 789960

Email: jorge.de-jesus at jrc.ec.europa.eu
       jorge.jesus at gmail.com

OpenPGPKey: 0xE915CB1E

"The views expressed are purely those of the writer and may not in any
circumstances be regarded as stating an official position of the European
Commission." (Disclaimer required under the terms and conditions of use of
the internet and electronic mail from Commission equipment)"