[postgis-users] postgis upgrade 1.4 to 1.5 sql file couldn't find $libdir/postgis-1.4

Paragon Corporation lr at pcorp.us
Mon Mar 1 06:19:59 PST 2010

Bruno,

Hmm hadn't thought about this as a standard practice.  Now you point it out,
I guess I can see the thought process behind this.

The main issue is that since PostGIS no longer names the .so/.dlls the same
as the old name, as soon as you uninstall the old version, you have
temporarily broken your databases until you upgrade them.  This was not the
case in the past.

So really package managers should be treating these versions as being
different animals.  This will become more of an issue when PostGIS 2.0 comes
around.

The reason we changed towards this path is that it allows for two versions
of PostGIS to coexist on the same server thus allowing one to slowly migrate
to a newer version and also cross test behavior.  In the case of PostGIS
2.0, there will be many breaking changes, so you definitely would not want
to uninstall the old version when you install the new.

Paul, Kevin, Mark et. Al  -- any thoughts on the matter.  I suspect we'll be
seeing more of this issue crop up.

Thanks,
Regina