[postgis-users] PostGIS with ArcGIS Desktop

Wenbert Del Rosario wenbert at gmail.com
Mon Mar 15 02:26:27 PDT 2010

Hello,

I am new comer to the GIS world. I hope you will be able to help me with my
problem.

But first, I have some questions:
Will ArcMap work directly with PostGIS? If yes, what kind of data are stored
in PostGIS?

Will it store all my map files(mao file containing rasters, contours, etc)
in the server? (No more editing local files? I am thinking of 1) Connect to
database 2) load data in ArcMap/AutoCAD 3) Save data )

Right now, my problem is that I have too many files on one machine. I want
everything stored in a server so that when I travel, I can just login
and retrieve/view my files. Is PostGIS the answer? Can anyone lead me to the
right direction for a solution?

Thank you very much.

Sincerely,
Wenbert