[postgis-users] PostGIS Installation Issues

Mike Toews mwtoews at gmail.com
Tue May 4 12:47:16 PDT 2010

Here is an example from a shell (dash, the default for Ubuntu):

# (optional) Create a new empty database "mydb"
sudo -u postgres createdb mydb

# Add PL/pgSQL as a language
sudo -u postgres createlang plpgsql mydb

# Spatially enable it (from the 1.5 and 8.4 stocks, edit this
depending on which combinaiton you have):
sudo -u postgres psql -f
/usr/share/postgresql/8.4/contrib/postgis-1.5/postgis.sql mydb
sudo -u postgres psql -f
/usr/share/postgresql/8.4/contrib/postgis-1.5/spatial_ref_sys.sql mydb

If you want to see the error messages in more detail, then add " 2>
myerrout" to the end of the last two commands above, then view the
myerrorout file afterwards.

-Mike