[postgis-users] Extract points from multipoint geometries

Charles Galpin cgalpin at lhsw.com
Mon May 10 08:32:32 PDT 2010

I searched the archives and saw this asked in 2005 but it didn't appear to have a resolution then.  I have two points in a multipoint geometry which represent the start and end point of road segments that I need to extract the points back out of, but ST_PointN doesn't work for multipoints, nor can I convert the multipoint to a linestring with ST_MakeLine and use ST_PointN then on the resultant line (because it doesn't work on multipoint geometries either).

Does anyone know a way to do this?

thanks,
charles