[postgis-users] Makeline help

dicky1980 michael.harrop at newcastle.gov.uk
Tue Oct 12 02:14:55 PDT 2010

Hi,

I need a bit of advice with the st_makeline function.

We have some vehicle tracking data showing gritting activity. What we want
to do is join up the points to create lines showing a travel path of what
has been gritted. We can do a basic version of this but what we'd like is a
seperate line for each group of events

For eaxmple we have

EVENT_ID Time
1             12.00
1             12:01
1             12:02 etc
1
1
2
2
2
2
1
1

What we'd like to be able to do is have it draw one line for the first event
id group of 1s, then stop, draw a line for 2's, stop that line then start a
new line for the next group of ones. What we have a present either jopins
them all as one line, or if we just pull out aal the ones it will draw a
line from the last 1 before the the two then join it to the next instance of
one giving a untrue picture