[postgis-users] PostGIS Raster: Spec. for WKT and WKB?

Peter Baumann p.baumann at jacobs-university.de
Wed Oct 13 01:58:41 PDT 2010

Hi Stefan,

in OGC the Web Coverage Service (WCS) is "in charge" of raster data [1].
Coverages are special feature types upon which WCS offers specific
functionality, like subsetting. These definitions have no resemblance
with WKT Raster.

A coverage actually is more than only rasters according to ISO 19123 and
OGC Abstract Topic 6 (which are identical), it can also represent point
clouds, irregular grids, meshes, and more.
And it is not only 2-D, but can have any spatio-temporal dimension, such
as 1D time series, 2D imagery, 3D image time series (x/y/t) or geology
data (x/y/z), 4D climate and ocean data (x/y/z/t).

The latest adopted version of WCS is 2.0 (August 2010). It will be
uploaded in a week or so, currently you see WCS 1.1.2.

An interactive demo of WCS-based services you find at EarthLook [2].
There you also find practical examples of OGC's raster processing
standard, Web Coverage Processing Service (WCPS), including a sandbox to
throw in your own queries. All services on said site, from 1D to 4D, are
based on the open-source rasdaman raster database server [3] running on
top of PostgreSQL.

Hope that helps,
Peter (WCS group co-chair and spec editor)

[1] www.ogcnetwork.net/wcs
[2] www.earthlook.org
[3] www.rasdaman.org