[postgis-users] Basic duplicating database question

Mike Toews mwtoews at gmail.com
Thu Oct 21 07:48:43 PDT 2010

On 21 October 2010 07:24, lplateandy <andy at centremaps.co.uk> wrote:

> Hi Mike,
>
> OK - that's really useful. Does that only work for 9 or does it just happen
> you're pointing to the 9 document?
>
> The doc says "It also takes an exclusive lock on the specific index being
> processed, which will block reads that attempt to use that index."
>
> Does that mean that i'm not really any better off as the spatial index is
> really the critical means controlling the reading of data into my GIS etc?
>
> What would be your scenario for a full vacuum?

Oh right, there is a lock on reads to the index with REINDEX, so the
index is useless. I missed that detail. A table without a readable
index is probably no good for your situation.

Here is another helpful doc page to explain locks:
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.4/static/explicit-locking.html

Also, to change the doc version, just edit the URL to your version
(e.g., replace 8.4 with 8.2 or whatever).

-Mike