[postgis-users] PostGIS Raster: Spec. for WKT and WKB?

Stefan Keller sfkeller at gmail.com
Fri Oct 22 05:34:10 PDT 2010

Salut Pierre, Hallo Peter

Many thanks for your explanations.

Pierre answered:
> >=> Do you mean by WKB that these formats are specified in public
> >accessible specs.?
>

> As I said: no. They are not specified in public. I wish there would have been a public spec to tell me how to store raster but there is not.

I'd like to understand and support this better:

1. You write "They are not specified in public.": But now they are at
least in the sense of "PostGIS WKB", aren't they?
Now there is the PostGIS documentation
(http://trac.osgeo.org/postgis/wiki/WKTRaster/Documentation01) as well
as the source code publicly available.

2. Wen you say "I wish there would have been a public spec to tell me
how": Do you mean that there code/encoding gives still much room fore
enhancements? This would be an opportunity to be discussed but it also
would mean that "PostGIS WKB" would'nt be stable.

Yours. S.