[postgis-users] PostGIS Raster: Spec. for WKT and WKB?

Pierre Racine Pierre.Racine at sbf.ulaval.ca
Fri Oct 22 05:57:43 PDT 2010

>> As I said: no. They are not specified in public. I wish there would have been a public spec to tell
>me how to store raster but there is not.
>
>I'd like to understand and support this better:
>
>1. You write "They are not specified in public.": But now they are at
>least in the sense of "PostGIS WKB", aren't they?
>Now there is the PostGIS documentation
>(http://trac.osgeo.org/postgis/wiki/WKTRaster/Documentation01) as well
>as the source code publicly available.

Ok. Yes in this sence they are public. But they are in no way issued by a standardisation organism.

>2. Wen you say "I wish there would have been a public spec to tell me
>how": Do you mean that there code/encoding gives still much room fore
>enhancements? This would be an opportunity to be discussed but it also
>would mean that "PostGIS WKB" would'nt be stable.

Exact. There are lots of things that we could include/discuss in WKB for raster like:

-I plan to add soon a flag to say if a band is only no data value.
-Band's stats. Mean, max, min and maybe histogram.
-More than one nodata value per band.
-Band's name so we can refer to them by a name instead of by a number.
-Color scheme descriptor.
-Adding a table of nominal values. A kind of generalization of what is a color table but able to store nominal values as well.

Etc...

Pierre