[postgis-users] pgsql2shp dbf file encoding

Paul Ramsey pramsey at opengeo.org
Mon Oct 25 10:03:25 PDT 2010

And that DBF field dates from the Time Before UTF-8, so there won't be
a "UTF8" number to put in it, in any event.  DBF files with UTF in
them (OSM!) are scary scary scary (for example, should your code for
reading a CHAR(8) field in DBF expect 8 bytes, or 8 characters? yay!)
It would be nice to support transcoding down to the code pages that
*are* supported in that field, I suppose. I wonder how much software
actually supports it.

P.