[postgis-users] Proposal to drop support for PostgreSQL 8.3 inPostGIS 2.0

Paragon Corporation lr at pcorp.us
Thu Oct 28 11:23:59 PDT 2010

> Debian is not Ubuntu... things are ready when they are ready.
> That's what makes it a good choice for basing dependencies on :) Look at
present for deps, not future.

Strk,

Take off your PostGIS developer shoes for a minute.  I know its hard :)

Now you are just a debian user concerned about stability.

Why wouldn't you just use this great PostGIS 1.3.3 version  (which isn't
even the latest stable release of 1.3)

http://packages.debian.org/lenny/postgresql-8.3-postgis

Instead of trying PostGIS 2.0

What makes you trust the stability of 10 PostGIS developers with only 1
build bot

Over the work of
Over 100 PostgreSQL  developers with more buildbots than I can count and
more 1000 times the user base of PostGIS

Frankly when my PostgreSQL  crashes (not to be mean) -- its my PostGIS
that's crashing it, and rarely anything to do with PostgreSQL.

--
By the way I got two notes off list
One from Simon Greener -- and he made a point that I feel most painfully

Of course once you've got them in the dentist chair and pulled the first
tooth.  Its easier to pull the other tooth.  once you've got them coming out
of the stable branch because your application absolutely needs this -- what
better way of getting nice SQL features to boot than to say -- the thing you
need won't work on that lower end thing they''ve currently got.

If you are running an ArcSDE 9.4 shop -- there is 0 chance of you running
even PostGIS 1.5 even because ESRI doesn't support PostGIS 1.5 even for
ArcGIS 10  (and in 10 will be supporting 8.4 and PostGIS 1.4)

http://resources.arcgis.com/content/arcsde/10.0/postgresql-system-requiremen
ts

So my point is -- you concerns for stability that would be preventing you
from running PostgreSQL 8.4 or above would also be preventing you from
running PostGIS 2.0.

I also disagree with looking at now.  IT changes dramatically in 6 monhts
time frame.

Thanks,
Regina