[postgis-users] Sqltutor for PostGIS

Martin Landa landa.martin at gmail.com
Sun Oct 31 08:53:07 PDT 2010

Dear PostGIS users/devs,

I would like to introduce to you the project called GNU Sqltutor [1].
GNU Sqltutor (presented on FOSS4G 2010 [2,3]) is a web based
interactive tutorial of SQL. Sqltutor has been originally developed by
Ales Cepek in 2007 at the Czech Technical University in Prague (CTU).
The aim of the project was to create a simple and user-friendly tool
for teaching SQL language which could be used in the database-oriented
courses at the CTU (try online at [4]).

Some time ago has been started development of geospatial Sqltutor
mainly with a goal to use Sqltutor also in the geoinformatics courses
at CTU (namely "Introduction into spatial data processing" and "Free
Software GIS"). Sqltutor is built on the top of PostgreSQL database
system, so PostGIS was a natural choice for geospatial-enabled branch
of Sqltutor:-)

Currently we are creating some Sqltutor datasets for PostGIS (try online)

     http://geo.fsv.cvut.cz/cgi-bin/sqltutor-postgis/sqltutor

I found some PostGIS tutorials at [5]. My motivation is to *invite
you* into Sqltutor development and testing. Sqltutor could be very
nice tool for teaching PostGIS.

The first goal is to integrate more PostGIS datasets in Sqltutor
project. I would like to *kindly ask the authors* of existing PostGIS
tutorials if they would offer their tutorial data for Sqltutor (it's
GNU) project (please contact me in this case). The second goal is to
improve Sqltutor program itself. Currently the queries and their
results are shown in the tabular (text) form. It would be cool to
modify Sqltutor program (C++ CGI application) to vizualize queries
also in the graphical form (as a interactive map). Probably you would
be also interested in this development.

Best regards, Martin Landa

[1] http://www.gnu.org/software/sqltutor/manual/
[2] http://geo.fsv.cvut.cz/~landa/publications/2010/foss4g-2010/paper/landa-cepek-sqltutor.pdf