[postgis-users] Assistance with st_convexhull

Nicklas Avén nicklas.aven at jordogskog.no
Thu Sep 16 06:17:55 PDT 2010

If I understand you right something like this should work: INSERT INTO convexIMU
SELECT ST_Convexhull(ST_Collect(the_geom) ) as convexIMU_geom FROM pointTable GROUP BY projectid;
 HTH/Nicklas
2010-09-16 Appel Tony wrote:

Greetings.

I have a newbie question today.

I have been using an FME workbench to create convexhulls from a collection of points I provide to it using a script parameter. This works fine, most of the time. There are issues with my server setup that causes issues with FME. But let me get to my question

First let me preface it with a bit of generic information: I have a database with 2 tables, point and convexIMU.  The point table points are indexed on  projectid. A single projectid has anywhere from 50-400k points associated with it.

I need to create a convexhull polygon of each projectid set of points and place it into the convexIMU table. This would still be performed from our website we have operating over the database.

IE: User defines a new file of point data to load into point, on load I wish to create the convexhull polygon in convexIMU.

I need some syntax assistance please!

Thanks in advance.

Tony

 The information contained in this communication may be CONFIDENTIAL and is intended only for the use of the recipient(s) named above. If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution, or copying of this communication, or any of its contents, is strictly prohibited. If you have received this communication in error, please notify the sender and delete/destroy the original message and any copy of it from your computer or paper files.