[postgis-users] combine serveral parts of the country

Thomas Andres andres85thomas at gmail.com
Mon Sep 20 00:34:11 PDT 2010

Dear List,

i’m Swiss and my English isn’t the most best. Even, I will try the explain
You my problem. Perhaps You will understand J

In Switzerland the parts of the country were measured by different offices.
The informations of the terrain (parcelles, rows, lakes, jungle etc
) are
exchanged by Interlis Files (*.itf).

With ogr2ogr this files can be imported into a Postgres Database.

When You import only one file, it’s not a problem. Every Line, Point,
Polygone and so on, has its own Feature-Id, which can be linked with another
feature.

I.e.: The geometry of a parcelle is linked with his number.

Now, when I would like add a second village to my GIS, in the same Database,
to be loaded in Mapserver with a mapfile layer
 the parcelle with the same
Feature ID will appear twice
 so the link to the number of the parcelle is
wrong

What I made in a first time: after have imported the first village, I add to
the primary and foreign keys, which I really I’m going to use in my GIS a
Char (‘a’ in example)
 by using PostgreSQL
 only after I imported the second
file. This is a solution which works, but not for long time J

I asked me, or better: I ask You, if there isn’t a mechanism in PostGIS or
PostgreSQL which is specially implemented for this kind of collage
 Some
kind of namespaces or
 I don’t know
 You understand =-) ?