[postgis-users] Programmatically generate maps zoomed to extent of shapes?

Robert Coup robert.coup at koordinates.com
Fri Sep 24 14:18:54 PDT 2010

On Sat, Sep 25, 2010 at 3:50 AM, Martin Davis <mbdavis at refractions.net>wrote:

>  Try looking at Mapnik.  This is what OpenStreetMap uses to generate its
> tiles.  I believe it exposes an API (or at least a cmd-line interface)

Yep, it certainly does. There's a command line tool that renders an XML map
declaration to a map (nik2img), and there's the main mapnik APIs
(C++/Python)

There's also some projects that start with OSM data and produce printed
maps. eg. with street-name indexes, mostly using mapnik for the
map-rendering part.

http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/OSM_on_Paper
specifically walkingpapers, maposmatic, and townguide.

It probably wouldn't be too hard to hack on them to use your postgis data
instead of OSM data.

The mapnik mailing lists are pretty friendly & helpful too.

HTH,

Rob :)