[postgis-users] Programmatically generate maps zoomed to extent of shapes?

pcreso at pcreso.com pcreso at pcreso.com
Fri Sep 24 14:35:41 PDT 2010

 Or look at using GMT (Generic Mapping Tools) to render your maps.

Pretty easy to script up something like:

for dataset in table ; do
  get data (ogr2ogr)
  render map
done

GMT is perhaps the most powerful Open Source cartographic tool available, but does not integrate particularly well with other GIS tools. However some recent enhancements to allow it to render images with world files & support from ogr for GMT formatted vector data mean it is now a very useful addition to a mainstream GIS toolkit.

Publication/poster quality cartography is not an area I'd really look for web oriented GIS tools to do well. It is a very different arena.

See http://gmt.soest.hawaii.edu

If you want help or examples, feel free to ask me off list. I have covered this topic for some in-house workshops on both GMT & Postgis.

Cheers

Brent Wood