[postgis-users] shp2pgsql import error: invalid byte sequence for encoding "UTF8": 0x96

Burgholzer, Robert (DEQ) Robert.Burgholzer at deq.virginia.gov
Fri Apr 1 13:30:33 PDT 2011

I am importing a file from some colleagues that is throwing an error
that I have never encountered before (nor it seems, has Google).    What
is interesting is that this file was an update sent to me whose only
supposed difference is that it is a POINT shapefile instead of a
MULTIPOLYGON.   The MULTIPOLYGON version worked fine, of course I have
no way of knowing what else has REALLY changed with this dataset.  Any
help would be appreciated.  The error occurs with only a subset of the
records, and occurs upon cat'ing the file to psql like so:

cat sql/observed_vdgif_xy.sql | psql aquatic_bio -U robertwb

ERROR: byte sequence for encoding "UTF8": 0x96

HINT:  This error can also happen if the byte sequence does not match
the encoding expected by the server, which is controlled by
"client_encoding".

Regards,

r.b.