[postgis-users] Postgis and Python

George Washington gws293 at hotmail.com
Fri Apr 15 02:17:08 PDT 2011

Hi, I am new to postgis (1.5 under Win 7) but have read enough to feel
hopeful that it could be just what I need. I have a very large number of
 shape files which I have loaded in my first postgis database generating
 some hundreds of tables with vector data. So far so good, but now I
need to use it to create queries and extract information in batch using
Python. I have seen statements by people who used Python to access
postgis databases but I have not been able to find any coded examples
which show :
1) how to connect to the database
2) how to perform queries on the data
3) how to extract the results from the queries, etc...

(all of which can be done in Python easily with MySql )

Can you please point me to any document which gives examples or code fragments to do the above.
Many thanks,
George