[postgis-users] [postgis-devel] PSC Vote to officially drop support for PostgreSQL 8.3 in PostGIS 2.0

pcreso at pcreso.com pcreso at pcreso.com
Thu Apr 21 18:35:35 PDT 2011

02c worth strictly from a user's perspective:

New users will generally start with current latest versions. So they should be fine.

Old users who have difficulty upgrading. (Oft times me :-) my call. If I need Postgis to work with 8.3, I use v1.5, if I need later Postgis functionailty, I upgrade. I still have a choice, as long as the older versions are available, even if they are no longer officially supported.

The rate of development of Postgis & Postgres is great. I'd sooner see the developers free to develop, making the most of their valuable & appreciated time, rather than spending time just keeping older Postgres versions supported.

Thanks everyone!

  Brent Wood