[postgis-users] Importing tiles in PostGIS raster

Bryce L Nordgren bnordgren at fs.fed.us
Thu Aug 18 11:20:16 PDT 2011

postgis-users-bounces at postgis.refractions.net wrote on 08/18/2011 08:58:29
AM:

> Hi,
>
> I want to import a raster image in PostGIS. Now my raster image is
already
> split into tiles and I can't see how I can handle those images with
> raster2pgsql.py. Currently the filenames are x_y.jpg where x and y
> refer to the
> coordinate of the upper left corner. How can I import those images using
the
> correct coordinates? All examples just mention the SRID and no
positions.

Raster assumes you're using a geospatially aware format. Hence, given the
metadata in the file, it can position the entire image correctly. In this
case, it means that each individual x_y.jpg will be correctly positioned.
You can also access pixels by real-world-coordinate fairly easily.
Preserving the original pixel indices is not its strong point. Each tile
starts at (1,1) (or (0,0) can't remember which).